Monday, March 29, 2010

Welcome Back!

We arrived back in Mongolia the evening of March 13th. We spent 3 days in Ulaanbaatar, shopping for some food, which we can't get in Choibalsan, gathering information and materials for the Branch and for our callings, meeting with Pres. Andersen and renewing friendships with the other couples. We flew to Choibalsan the afternoon of the 17th. I ask the Elders if they could drop us off at our apartment, "No, the Branch has something planned for you." We walked into the Church and the Relief Society was having an activity. They had rented or brought their Deels, and many of them were dressed up. They were all standing in a half circle and looked so beautiful! They imediately started putting Dad and I in one of them. This particular outfit is a Queen's dress, and the hat is put on correctly, I tried to turn it, they straightened it.
One thing you need to remember is that I am not 5' tall and 100 pounds! These are 2 of the Mongolian Elders, and one of the Sisters in Relief Society. They all seemed so happy to have us back and we got lots of hugs and kisses!

King and Queen for the Day!


The young people came over and visited. We had them coming over the night we got home and wanting to know when they could teach me how to make "buuz" (they pronounce them "bodes"). They all LOVE their buuz, even the little kids. And they all know how to make them, too! Notice that one rolling pin has only one handle, that is the kind they use, an American couple left the 2-handled one.

They are like a pasta-type shell with a meat-loaf-like center. They use beef, sheep (most common), horse and some other things (I'll spare the details!). I found out later that these had horse meat. Yes, I did eat some, they aren't too bad if done right, these were pretty good, catsup helps and Dad likes barbeque sauce or tabasco sauce on them. In the picture they are taking them out of the pan, eating them hot, he couldn't wait!
We are so grateful to you our family and friends! We love you and think of you often! Thankyou for keeping up with us!

4 comments:

Loren and Tama said...

I am so glad they welcomed you back in style. You must have made quite an impression on them in the short time you were there before you left. I imagine your return also was a sign of better times to come between the Mongolian government and the church. Horse meat...another thing I have never tried :) You now are two up on me (but who's counting?) :) We love you! Tama

ryantand tracya.blospot.com said...

Mom and Dad, you will have to make some buzz for us when you return. I am glad that they welcomed you back in style. We love you.

Loren and Tama said...

You almost pass for a local couple. (Almost.) Such wonderful memories you are creating. The boys love hearing about Mongolia and all of your escapades.

Anonymous said...

Jean & Richard, Wow they really love you! What an inspiration you are to me. The Lord is really protecting you and leading you I can hear that from your stories. Your doing a great work, making a differance in a lot of people's life, mostly your own, I know how that goes. We are all fine here, I am feeling better all the time. Love you two so much, have a great week love Karen


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones