
We want to keep these in order so I'll start at the beginning. Tsagaan Sar is Mongolia's Thanksgiving. And very family and friend oriented. Two or three days before the holiday starts they clean their homes. They beat the rugs, clean their houses and we noticed some getting new furniture - New couches and chairs on a horse cart. These rugs are hung over fences the weather is maybe -10 or -15 c. Another thing they do before is to make Buuz (pronounced bodes). Many of the women will make several hundred! Also, all the businesses close for the 10 days of the holiday. (That is why I had no internet, and then found out we had to leave)

These young kids are in our home alot. When they found out Dad bought a Deel (pronounced dell) they wanted to see it on him so they dresses up Dad. Tieing the sash was so funny. The men wear the sash around their hips and pull the Deel up, so it hangs over, he looked kind of fat! But, they thought he looked so good! That is a traditional Mongolian hat. The young man in the white shirt, Bayarsaikhan, is being baptized this Saturday, March 5th, we will miss it. I'm sad! He is a cute young man. I will talk about his later.

This is a picture of us in our Deels. This is the first day of the holiday and we are getting ready to go out and visit. The Deels are made the same, the women wear more color and wear their sashes aroung their waist. One of the Mongolian Elders taught us a song and we sang it a few times, about a mother and the different Deels she had through her life, one of them was a green deel. The Mongloian music is very pretty and they sing alot about their mother's, father's and families.

Elder's Willoughby and Naisbitt in their Mongolian Shirts

It is a Buddist Prayer Tradition.
They find the hight place around where they live and tie a prayer shawl. It was very windy and cold,but a fun place to see. They also use these shawl to greet and show respect at Tsagaan Sar. We were the oldest at several of the homes so they would respect us first. The young man in the first picture (in the white shirt). Wanted to honor me and then gave me the shawl! I was so touched!
4 comments:
It was so good to finally see pictures of you two. You both look native in your Deels. You look good. Love and miss you.
I'm impressed with your blogging-on-the-move skills! You guys look great. I was reading on E. Willoughby's site and saw some pictures of you guys there as well. That's too bad that he will be reassigned stateside. I hope you have a safe trip to Korea. Didn't you have a layover there on your way out? See? It's not a complete unknown where you are going! :) Enjoy the adventure. I hope that very soon the traveling adventures will be over and you can be allowed to settle in and do your work. Hang in there. We love you!
Tama
We love reading about your experiences and seeing the photos. The photo of you in front of the rock cairn with the prayer flags is incredible, very Mongolian. We missed hearing from you. Glad you have access to the net once again. We hope that you will make it back to Mongolia, soon. You have to see it in the summer. It is probably wonderful. Enjoy Korea.
Thanks for sharing!! I hope that you can soon return to complete the work the Lord has for you to do!! Love ya Lots!! Marla
Post a Comment