Friday, January 22, 2010

Some Things in Our Week!

I think it was Tama that said, they love the pictures we put on the blog, but we were missing from them. Since I was the one behind the camara I didn't think about being in them. So, we had someone take pictures of us, to show you we are really here! These will give you an idea of some of the things we are doing...
We teach an English Class every morning here in our home for the Sister Missionaries and one of their new converts, (she's the one taking the picture). Bimbajaw, the guy, is studying for the English test to get into BYU Hawaii. He has good English and translates for us at Church, especially with Dad in Bishopric Meetings. We also teach at the Church 3 times a week.
Since we still don't have our visa's, we are considered visitors, and we can't teach anywhere else.
So, for the most part they are members, young men and women, who already know quite a bit of English, they just need encouragement speaking and putting it into sentences.
The snow here is very different, it is so dry and powdery,
very light weight and no moisture in it whatsoever!
Here some of the members and missionaries are clearing the parking lot,
I haven't seen a car in it yet, and probably won't!
This is the back of the Church, they have a patio. Notice the brick/stone walkway, it is very pretty. Also, notice the brooms, they are made of plastic. Most of the handles are short, although here one is long. They move almost as much as the shovels! Dad is standing on the step, we all took turns, because there weren't enough shovels or brooms to go around.
Yes, I was here! It is actually snowing, as Dad calls it "Frosting", because it has no moisture or wetness to it. It is very cold and if the wind is blowing, really cold! Thankgoodness for scarfs - they are a necessity here and everyone wears one.
I'm glad Jody gave me one before I left home!
This is Relief Society, they ask me do make something and show them. I could show them "American Bread" and not have to do to much talking. It was cute when Dad pulled out the camara to take my picture, these ladies hurried up to stand by me to be in the picture. It makes it fun! I had forgotten to take a loaf pan and so we went to Plan B - use what resources I could find - a muffin tin. We made rolls, instead, which turned out better, that way everyone got a taste without having to slice it.
(Luckily it turned out pretty good!)

We sure love all of you and thankyou for commenting on the blogs!
They are a life-saver and I feel connected to all of you!
Give each other a hug and kiss for us!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mongolians sweeping the snow with their brooms is like the Brasilians sweeping the dirt floors and front yards with their brooms. We now have the internet at home so Mom can sleep better at night knowing I can check and comment on the blog more.

Loren and Tama said...

It looks so cold. (Boise is kind of mild. Ethan caught a ladybug the other day.) I am very impressed with the young people in MOngolia. WOW! I hope that there are opportunities for them after mission. We love reading your blogs. the Photos of you two are great. You look happy. You are so lucky to have this experience.

Eldon, Jenny, Kye and Makayla said...

I shivered when I saw the picture of you, Mom. It looks really cold. But I noticed it was only zero degree F. Toasty. We love looking at pictures of you. Love and miss you.

Loren and Tama said...

Only you could make real American bread in Mongolia and have it turn out "pretty good". I have tried for 15 years to make "pretty good" bread or rolls, and have yet to succeed. And that is with recipes and experts like you trying to tell me how to do it. Do they have Rhoades Rolls in Mongolia? That would be my only option :) You look soooo cold. But it has been good to see you have had some days above 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Spring is on its way! keep up the good work!

ryantand tracya.blospot.com said...

We are so happy you are doing well. We really enjoy looking at all the pictures and comments that you post. We love and miss you.

Ovoo and Emaa said...

Thanks to all of you for posting! I read them several times and find alot of encouragement and comfort! And that you are connected with us. Thanks for posting and keeping us informed as to your doings! Love You!

DaVette said...

Mom and Dad,
I love to look at all the great pictures you send! It sounds like you are already making good friends with the people there. They are so lucky to have you! I do think of you when I get a little chilled and pray that you are able to stay warm. Keep the photos and pictures coming! We love you so much and think of you often!
Shawn, DaVette and kids

Trish said...

I'm so glad to see you both in some of the pictures. What a great experience you are both having. I'm so glad that you are serving. Love you lots and I always look forward to the next letter. Way to go Kev!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones