Friday, January 8, 2010

Home Sweet Home!

I thought you might enjoy seeing where and how we live. Our apartment is small, but for here is considered very nice. The kitchen is approximately 7'x10', just right for 2 of us. The stove is very small, we can fit a small cookie sheet in the oven. When I cook for the Elders and Sisters, we have them go single file to the stove, dish up their food and go back into the Living Room to eat. I have cooked soup, and also lots of rice, they seem to enjoy it.
This is our washing machine. Notice the silver hose into the washing machine - we fill it with the bathroom sink water. The hose is also our shower head in the bathtub. The tub is about 2 1/2' high, the actual tub is probably sits 1' higher than the floor. Also, notice the drain for the washer - yep it drains into the bathtub! I haven't actually brought myself to take a bath yet, the shower works well! Also the water is a pale yellow in color, which doesn't lend itself to a bath! Also, the washer doesn't agitate, it twirls, goes one way, stops, then twirls the other way! As you can imagine our clothes are one big knot when finished!
These are how eggs are sold, you buy them individually. We carry them very carefully from the store! They do have flats of 2 1/2 dozen, but I don't know if that would be any safer to carry an open flat of eggs!


When we first got to Choibalsan, there was a funeral, the food was very interesting! They take a lot of pride in how it looks, which is really very pretty. At the bottom is a plate of meat, like salami, with pickle relish in the center. The bigger plate up on the left is rice and raisins, it actually tasted pretty good. The smaller plate on the right, is potato salad, a lot like our salads. The smaller plate above, on the right, is dill pickles and relish. The bigger plate on the left, above the rice is fruit, grapes and mandarin oranges. The long rectangles are bread, they decorate the bread with different kinds of candy.
They use this same kind of bread with their holidays, they have meaning and notice some are stacked higher than others, I will have to find out more about them. In February they have their New Year's, Tsagaan Sar Holiday, I'm sure I will find out a lot at that time.
Another interesting custom is that they each have a fork, and they all eat off the main plates.
We are learning and still getting use to things.
We are keeping busy though,
with the Elders and Sisters bringing their contacts to our home to teach,
with teaching English Lessons,
and with the activities at the Church.
We love you All!


7 comments:

Jody said...

Your "home sweet home" looks nice and cozy. The food looks good. But the sharing off of one plate hmmm, not so sure about that:) We love you.

Marla said...

Thank you so much for sharing those pictures!!! It looks nice and cozy!! I really can not believe how they share food. On the bright side of things-it saves dishes. Hope you guys are doing well!! We miss ya a lot! Love ya!

Marla

ryantand tracya.blospot.com said...

It is fun to see where you live. It looks really nice. We love and miss you. Joshua is sure talking and growing up so fast.

Loren and Tama said...

Looks like a simple yet comfortable and modern little flat. We love all the updates and photos. We check your blog frequently for your latest postings. It helps make the boys excited about their own missions. (and really makes Tama want to return to the field, right dear?) Keep them coming. We love you!

Loren and Tama said...

What a beautiful little place you have! I am actually surprised you have a washing machine. I never even saw one on my mission (except for every now and then when I would splurge and hire a neighbor woman to do it for me...she was better than any ole' machine!). I read E' Willoughby's family's blog and it sounds like they love coming over to eat at your place and have discussions there. If there is anyone who can create a "home away from home", you can. You have the unique ability to create a home feeling just by being in the room. Keep up the good work! We love you!

Eldon, Jenny, Kye and Makayla said...

Your home does look nice and cozy. Eldon said it looked a lot bigger than some of his flats in London. It is great getting a look into your new home. We miss and love you.

Anonymous said...

We didn't have washing machines or dryers Brazil. They used spinners for dryers to spin off all the extra water and then hang dry everything. When I lived close to the sea it would take a couple of days for clothes to dry.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones